Termites In Santa Clarita Can Be A Huge Headache
February 15, 2022 - Termites
When you purchased your home, did you consider all of the things that could go wrong? Most likely, you had an idea of some problems that could occur, but you didn’t dwell on them. Many problems that are outside of your control are covered by homeowners insurance. One problem that is not covered, however, is termite damage. These pests consume structural wood and are a huge headache for locals here in our Santa Clarita service area. To help you keep termites out of your home, here are some things you should know today.
What Are The Types Of Termites In Santa Clarita?
There are two main types of termites that cause trouble for homeowners here in Santa Clarita: drywood termites and subterranean termites. Of these two pests, subterranean termites are the most common. The main difference between drywood termites and subterranean termites is that drywood termites live inside dry wood. Subterranean termites only consume wood that is water damaged and do not live inside wooden structures but rather underground in large colonies.
Signs Of Termites On Your Santa Clarita Property
If your Santa Clarita home has a termite problem, you may not notice it at first. Many signs of termites do not show up until months or years after these pests have chewed their way into a home. Keeping this in mind, here are some common signs, evidence of termites, to use to identify these pests in your living areas.
- Moisture spots on floors, walls, and ceilings
- Bubbling paint and wallpaper
- Mud tubes running up your home’s exterior foundation
- Frass (termite droppings) around pin-sized holes in your walls or on the ground
- Overly-squeaky floorboards and stairs
- Tight-fitting doors and windows
- Hollow-sounding wood
- A rustling noise coming from inside structural wood
- Dipping floors or ceilings
- Other severe structural damage due to moisture damage or hollowed-out wood
How Bad Is It To Have Termites In My Santa Clarita Home?
Because termite identification is so difficult, termites are usually able to cause a lot of damage to homes before they are noticed. If a colony becomes mature on your property, it will release swarmer termites near your Santa Clarita home. These winged reproductive termites might build more nests on your property that will assist in destroying your structural wood. If you see a termite swarm in your house it is a good indication that you are dealing with an active infestation and that you need to call in a professional immediately.
Six Prevention Tips To Stop Active Termites From Invading Your Santa Clarita Home
- Use a caulking gun to seal off holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Make sure all of your window/door screens are working properly.
- Fix damage to your gutters and make sure they are cleaned seasonally.
- Eliminate sources of moisture in and around your home.
- Remove dead trees, stumps, leaves, sticks, cardboard, and other wood and wood-based things from your property.
- Trim back trees and bushes to create a five-foot dry zone around your home’s exterior.
Effective Termite Control For Santa Clarita Properties
If you suspect your home is under attack, you need to contact a termite specialist near you. For better termite protection, let the experts at CVA Exterminators come out and look at your property. We will identify any pests that are trying to chew their way through your investments and give them the boot. We will also walk you through your options to keep your property termite-free year-round.
Call us today to learn more about our termite control options in Santa Clarita and schedule your property for a visit.