How To Spot Early Signs Of Termites On Your Santa Clarita, CA Property
March 15, 2022 - Termites
Termites (Isoptera) are insects that generally eat cellulose in wood and some other plant matter. They may appear in various colors, including white, tan, dark brown, or black, and usually measure roughly ¼ to ½ of an inch long. The termites responsible for reproduction have two pairs of wings that allow them to fly.
California is home to approximately 21 different species. The warm and humid climate here allows for an earlier “termite season” compared to others, often beginning in March. Each year across the U.S., termites cause an estimated five billion dollars in property damage as they feed on wooden structures, which is typically not covered by homeowners’ insurance.
Termites are not an immediate health risk for humans; however, they can quickly destroy property. In nature, they are helpful in the process of breaking down fallen trees and many other types of debris. They are social insects that create large colonies. Many termites are subterranean and live within underground nests and travel to wood sources — sometimes inside a property.
Termites often destroy wooden structures from the inside, which delays the likelihood that they are detected until very significant damage has occurred.
Common Signs Of A Termite Infestation
Termites are known as silent destroyers meaning that they're difficult to detect in your Santa Clarita home. Fortunately, if you look carefully, there are some signs you're dealing with a termite problem:
- Swarmers (alates): As part of their mating ritual, winged termites will gather in swarms and might be visible. You might notice small piles of wings, which are shed after a short time.
- Presence of white ants: In some cases, a property owner will mistakenly assume that termites are ants because of similarities in appearance.
- Hollow-sounding wood: If you knock or tap on a wooden surface that contains termites, it may sound hollow because the interior is eroding, and floorboards may creak when walked over.
- Difficulty opening doors or windows: The structural damage may alter the frame areas of doors or windows, making them harder to open or close. Your ceilings may appear to be drooping or otherwise deformed.
- Droppings: You may detect termite droppings (frass) near wooden structures that resemble a dark powder-like material.
- Mud tubes: Termites tend to create small tunnels to allow for safe passage between nests and food sources. These are commonly referred to as mud tubes or galleries that often run through walls and foundations.
In the end, if you do not see these signs, you should still be concerned about the potential threat of termites. Our team at CVA Exterminators will provide year-round termite protection to give you the peace of mind that comes with protecting your home from these destructive pests.
The Importance Of Promptly Contacting A Pest Control Professional
Local home improvement suppliers, superstores, and online retailers use creative marketing that embellishes their do-it-yourself products’ capabilities. Examples include aerosol sprays and repellants, foams, powders, and many other treatment options that are often ineffective when infestations of termites have significantly progressed. Also, some of these products may pose health risks to humans, pets, and the environment.
In many cases, property owners cannot detect a termite intrusion until significant structural damage is looming. Any failure to act promptly and responsibly could potentially have very costly ramifications. You should immediately contact an experienced local pest control professional in these instances.
Partner With CVA Exterminators For Year-Round Termite Protection
The staff at CVA Exterminators offers proven state-of-the-art termite control. We are family-owned and operated and recognize the importance of safely and virtually eliminating problems such as ants, cockroaches, rodents, and various other bothersome pests. Our team is now providing same-day treatment options and 24/7 emergency services.
Ask one of our seasoned professionals about our year-round protection plans that are comprehensive and affordable. Reach out to us today to learn more about our termite control options.