Tips & Tricks To Effective Cockroach Prevention In Santa Clarita
January 14, 2022 - Cockroaches
When was the last time you checked your Santa Clarita home for cockroaches? These invasive insects are among the most problematic pests in our area and are known for spreading dangerous diseases and triggering asthma attacks. If you are unsure if your home is infested or you are looking for some ways to keep pests out of your Santa Clarita home where they belong, check out this article for some prevention tips and tricks to use today.
How To Find A Cockroach Inside Your Home
Cockroaches are not the most friendly pests. They do their best to stay hidden when infesting homes. So when it comes to how to find a cockroach in your home, you have to look for signs they leave behind. To start, look for fecal droppings, grease marks, and shed skins. These are the three most common signs that indicate a cockroach infestation. If you really want to see a live cockroach, try looking under your appliances and in other secluded, dark, and moist areas around your home.
Do Cockroaches Smell?
One question we are regularly asked is, do cockroaches smell? Unless you hold one of these pests up to your nose, you shouldn’t be able to smell them individually. It is only when several dozen cockroaches are residing inside your wall voids, under furniture and appliances, and in other secluded areas that a cockroach smell will occur. This smell comes not only from cockroach feces but also from pheromones these pests produce.
Prevention Tips For Cockroaches
Do cockroaches invade homes in our area? Absolutely! Will cockroaches find their way into your living areas? This all depends on what you do today. To start, here are some great prevention tips and tricks to help you deter these gross insects.
- Thoroughly inspect your exterior foundation and check for gaps, cracks, and holes cockroaches might use to get inside. Seal off these potential entry points using a caulking gun or some liquid cement.
- Use the same caulking gun to fill in spacing around window/door frames and utility pipes/wires.
- Check your home’s window/door screens, weatherstripping, and door sweeps. Make sure they are all in good working order.
- Have your gutters cleaned at least once a year and check them regularly for damage.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up around your property after rainfall.
- Clean up clutter and debris from your yard and do your best to keep up with your lawn and landscaping.
- Deep clean your home once a season, thoroughly clean once a week, and keep up with daily cleaning like dishes, countertops, and areas where you eat food.
- Make sure your trash cans are clean and have pest-proof lids.
- Repair damage to piping and other water fixtures inside your home.
- Use dehumidifiers in your basement, crawlspaces, and in other humid areas around your home.
- Store leftovers, pet food, and pantry items in plastic, glass, or metal containers.
How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches Permanently
It does not take long for a few cockroaches to breed into a cockroach swarm. If you are looking for a good way to avoid a cockroach swarm inside your home, you need to hire the experts at CVA Exterminators. We understand area species like German cockroaches and American cockroaches and have the advanced tools and equipment needed to get and keep these pests out of your living areas. All you have to do is give us a call today. We will discuss our residential and commercial pest control methods with you and schedule a time to have your Santa Clarita home inspected for invasive and dangerous pests.