The Dangers Roaches Bring To Santa Clarita Properties
September 10, 2021 - Cockroaches
Spotting a cockroach in your Santa Clarita home would be enough to make any homeowner cringe – and for good reason. For Santa Clarita residents, there are three main types of cockroaches to worry about.
- German cockroaches: As the most common cockroach in the world, it’s not unusual to see German roaches in your home. These critters are on the smaller side measuring around half an inch in length and are usually identified by the two dark streaks that run parallel on their backs.
- American cockroaches: American cockroaches are the biggest roach you’ll find inside your home growing over two inches in length, and have reddish-brown coloring with yellow bands on the back of their heads.
- Oriental cockroaches: With glossy, dark bodies, Oriental roaches grow to be around an inch in length, and are big fans of damp areas.
Regardless of which type of roach you may be dealing with, having a cockroach infestation is never pleasant. Here’s what you should know about why cockroaches infest your property, how dangerous they are, and what to do if you’ve got an active pest infestation in your home.
Do Cockroaches Only Infest Unsanitary Homes In Santa Clarita?
Cockroaches are known as unsanitary pests, and most people associate them with poor housekeeping or unsanitary living conditions. There’s a little bit of truth to this. Before they make it inside your home, cockroaches may crawl through sewers, drains, and other unsanitary places that allow them to pick up harmful pathogens and bacteria that they can spread to you.
Cockroaches aren’t always a sign of poor housekeeping. While these roaches prefer unsanitary living conditions that allow them easy access to food or water, they’re also not picky. Cockroaches are scavengers that can survive in almost any home or business, regardless of how clean it is.
How Dangerous Are Cockroaches In Santa Clarita?
Because they may hang around in sewers or other unsanitary conditions before they infest your home, cockroaches are more than just a nuisance; they’re a health hazard.
Some of the health risks associated with roaches include:
- They may spread harmful bacteria like salmonella, staphylococcus, or streptococcus.
- They can be carriers for certain intestinal diseases like dysentery, diarrhea, cholera, or even typhoid fever.
- The saliva, discarded skin, or even droppings left behind by cockroaches can trigger asthmatic symptoms in some people and cause moderate to severe allergic reactions in others.
Keep in mind that cockroaches don’t need to directly interact with you to spread disease. When they crawl across surfaces in your home or contaminate food, cockroaches could also be spreading bacteria.
How To Handle An Active Cockroach Infestation In Santa Clarita
Unfortunately, getting rid of roaches in Santa Clarita isn't an easy fix. Most of the time, infestations require help from professionals like those of us at CVA Exterminators. Our experienced technicians have been out in the field since 1998, and we’ve got the training to find and eliminate cockroach infestations from your Santa Clarita home.
If you’re worried that you’ve got a roach infestation in your Santa Clarita home or business or you’re just beginning to see the signs of one, you shouldn’t try and wait it out. Call us at CVA Exterminators today to find out more about our residential and commercial pest control programs and what we can do to help.