How To Keep Overwintering Pests Out Of Your Santa Clarita Home This Winter
December 15, 2021 - Winter Pests
Many people live in Santa Clarita because of the nice year-round weather. And while it gets a bit cooler during the winter months, it is not cold enough for pests in the Santa Clarita area to go into hibernation. Because of this, pests will try to get into homes and other buildings to stay warm and for food, which becomes less available as it gets colder.
Some pests become more aggressive in their efforts to get inside during this time of year. These pests include wildlife like squirrels and raccoons, spiders, cockroaches, rodents, and ants.
All of these pests can cause problems in your home, such as:
- Spreading other pests like parasites, fleas, and ticks
- Contaminating surfaces and food
- Transmitting diseases such as leptospirosis, typhus, rat-bite fever, dysentery, cholera, salmonellosis, plague, and hantavirus
- Triggering allergies and asthma
- Causing property damage
No one wants pests in their home at any time, but especially during the winter when our guards are down, they are sneaking in. To get ahead of them in Santa Clarita, California, implement these prevention tips and choose to receive ongoing assistance from CVA Exterminators.
What Can I Do To Prevent Pests During Winter?
The following are pest prevention tips you should use year-round on your Santa Clarita property to reduce the factors that attract pests. This is especially necessary during the winter months when your warm home is so enticing.
Remove Potential Entry Points
- Inspect and seal the exterior walls and foundation of any cracks and crevices that pests can squeeze through
- Place screens on all doors and windows
- Keep exterior doors and windows closed when possible
- Place coverings over vents and chimneys
Remove Food Sources
- Pick up fallen fruit from your yard
- Clean eating areas regularly
- Store open food in air-tight containers
- Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids that can’t be knocked over easily
- Keep compost bins away from your home
Remove Water Sources
- Fix leaking faucets and make sure your property has proper drainage
- Use dehumidifiers around your home, especially in areas like the basement, crawl space, and garage
- Make sure your home has adequate ventilation
Remove Harborage Areas
- Store firewood properly
- Clear your yard of leaf piles, excess foliage, and other debris
- Keep your home clutter-free
Along with at-home prevention, the best way to keep pests away during the winter is with ongoing pest control from professionals.
What Can Professionals Do To Help With Pests During Winter?
With professional assistance, The most effective way to deal with a pest problem, especially in the winter, is with professional service. Contact us at CVA Exterminators for winter pest prevention on your Santa Clarita property. Our residential pest control services cover common California pests year-round. This process includes:
- A thorough inspection of the interior of your home to understand the pest pressures, where they are entering, and other conducive conditions.
- A tailored plan of quality pest control treatments, which will include both interior and exterior services.
- Bi-monthly or quarterly follow-up visits to re-treat the exterior of your home and the interior as needed. These follow-up visits ensure that your home remains pest-free year-round.
With our general pest control plans, specialty pest control services to target specific pests, and eco-friendly pest control options, you are sure to find the right treatments for your home. Don’t wait; call us today at CVA Exterminators to learn more and get started with reliable home exterminator services and customized commercial pest control plans.