Tips for Preventing Kitchen Pests
Your kitchen is one of the most attractive areas in your home for most common pests including ants, roaches, and rodents. Taking action before a problem begins allows you to prevent kitchen pest infestations. Begin your pest control strategy using these easy and effective tips.
Cleaning is the first line of defense against kitchen pests. Some simple ways to prevent an infestation includes the following:
- Sweep and mop the kitchen regularly to eliminate tiny crumbs that attract insects.
- Clean your pantry and cabinets often to remove spilled food.
- Store nonperishable foods, such as pasta, flour and cereal, in lidded, airtight containers, or store nonperishable foods in the freezer.
- Wipe the sink out to remove water that may attract pests like ants.
- Store pet food in a lidded container, and pick up you pet’s food and water bowl after they are done eating.
Although these steps sound simple, eliminating food and water sources is an effective pest control strategy that you can easily implement in your home. Sealing your home is also recommended if you want to eliminate the risk of an infestation.
Eliminate Entrance Points
You should also seal your Santa Clarita home to close potential entrance points. Kitchen pests can enter through tiny cracks that are nearly invisible. Seal any cracks that you find, and use caulking to seal the gaps around plumbing pipes where they enter your home. Other ways to seal your home include:
- Check your window screens, and replace any that are damaged.
- If you have an attic, make sure all vents are covered with screen or fine wire mesh, and keep branches trimmed so rodents can’t climb nearby trees to enter the home.
- Seal gaps under doors and around windows with caulking, or use weatherproofing materials like foam window stripping to close gaps.
Sealing your home helps prevent most pests, but even with the most consistent preventative strategy, pests may find a way into your home. If you notice signs of an infestation, we can provide the solutions you need to quickly resolve the problem.
Contact CVA Exterminators for a free in-home estimate anytime you notice signs of a pest infestation in your Santa Clarita home, and don’t forget to use our online coupons to save more on your pest treatment plan.
25570 Rye Canyon Rd, Suite C
Santa Clarita, CA 91355